Saturday 16 January 2016

Glen Nevis Walk

As 2016 arrived, I enjoyed the first walk of the New Year in Fort William. It is an easy walk along River Nevis with impressive vistas- high peaks loom over walkers here. Starting from a small car park at the end of tarmac road in Glen Nevis , I followed a nice, at places rugged path through woodland.




















                                       Looking back from the trail , the ridge of Ben Nevis

  Getting to the highest point of my walk so far , the path I walked on approaches the stream of River Nevis , which breaks through the builders on its way. Mesmerizing scenery .

Water of Nevis and An Steall waterfall






Soon, following the stream, I got through an opening in the gorge to the upper section of Glen Nevis, with river running wide. A big waterfall across the Water of Nevis, was the one I had seen once  when standing on the top of Ben Nevis. I have wanted to see this waterfall closely ever since . And here we are , I got there .









The "bridge"





If one wants to cross the stream to get close to waterfall , the simple bridge is at hand. It gives you some thrill when crossing -one false move and you can easly slip down to the water. Fortunatelly, I had gloves, otherwise it would be extremely painfull to keep hands on wet , cold iron rails . And I made it to the other bank without wetting myself .














Steall Hut by the path to waterfall
Boggy path leads to the foot of An Steall waterfall. One of the biggest I have seen in Scotland so far - standing there man can appreciate the power of nature - terrible noise and small particals of water travelling in the air.













I retraced my steps , along the River Nevis , downstream. The weather deteriorated, it got much gloomier , cloudier and drizzle increased. But such a humid conditions help the undergrowth flourish , even in the middle of the winter. That made the walk through this great Glen more pleasant, despite unfavourable weather.













I returned to the car park before the rain started falling for good. Glen Nevis walk is perfect if you don't have much time and there is much to enjoy .







No comments:

Post a Comment